Monday, April 4, 2011

Trying something new

So here I am.

Newly laid off. Life is very different from where we were 2 years ago with our 2 incomes.

The positive? We haven't had to move from our apartment. The 5 year old is in school full time--a public school and she has transportation to get there. I have more time to volunteer (right now for Girl Scouts) and DH is trying to start a social media company and so far has been pretty successful. I get to spend a lot more time with our 4 year old DD at home, no daycare. I get to scrapbook sometimes! I cook more. I can shop more wisely. Dry cleaning bills have been eliminated. No commuting expenses. Gas bill has been reduced. I can finally start the application process for my certification that will hopefully lead to a good job.

The negative? With finances strained, we have to be creative. Budgeting and couponing and basically trying to get everything for little to no cost. It is hard to live a scheduled life when the kids are the only ones who seem to have a schedule. I meander. Sometimes I find myself not wanting to do anything. Then I have to snap out of it, quickly.

Make lemonade out of lemons.

So here I am.

I have found myself in the past year sharing information on local events and shopping tips to save money and have fun for practically nothing. I feel like I have scoured the internet and that all of these resources need a central place for people to reference. So this lemonade stand is for my trusted sites and tips that work for me. I hope that they will work for you too. To enjoy that lemonade.

1 comment:

  1. Losing your job can be both a terrifying & rewarding experience all at the same time. It's best definition of 'Paradox' that I've ever run into ! It's one of the most effective situations to coax out one's creativity that I've ever experienced. After becoming disabled/unemployed and after the initial shock & being paralyzed by fear & terror wore off I started to learn what I can do without and how little I actually needed. The hunt for getting the things that I need or want for either free or next to free has actually been fun. Not having or knowing where your next rent payment will come from is anything but fun. Stressing over: how much longer is my 12 year old car going to last & how will I get the money to repair or replace it -or- will it pass Inspection this year???? Not fun.

    Thank you for this post. Sharing experiences, knowledge, advice and encouragement really helps to quell the fear & anxiety that comes from financial insecurity.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism welcomed. Advice and sharing of ideas welcomed. Assinine comments are not.