Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Basics: Calendar


Gosh, that last post was so dreary. So let's get upbeat. The key to getting the best deal and the best place to start getting organized? GET A GOOD CALENDAR. Then use your calendar to keep track of everything from snow days to sick days to how much you spent at the grocery store that day. Not only should you note the date of the event but also when RSVPs are due and time to prepare for the event if you need to.

Physical vs. electronic? Why choose? I use both.

My favorite physical calendar is made by More Time Moms. It was a recommendation from my bestest friend (of whom I am exremely envious of her housekeeping skillz). I have used this brand for 8 years now and found that it has the largest boxes for keeping track of appointments and we write EVERYTHING on it. It also comes in handy when we have to remember where we went for Easter last year as I save them all. I use stickers for quick visual reminders. I also I keep a multi-ink pen on a long string attached to it so I don't have to search for a pen when I need one. But no matter what brand you choose, get one big enough to hold everything you want to list and hang it in a spot where it is very accessible to everyone in the family. We also use it as the place where we mark off rewards for trying new foods or being good. I just have a hard time keeping the little ones from writing on it.

I consider my calendar an investment worth the cost. If you cannot afford to buy one, check the clearence racks at a bookstore after the new year. Check coupons for online stores like calendars.com. Or just use one that you can get free from a restaurant or church. You might be able to print out a blank calendar from MS Word at your local library. I prefer manufactured ones because they will last longer.

I also use a smaller dry erase weekly calendar for my 5-yo daughter's school stuff. It is an at-a-glance reference that she can read quickly. Not a necessity, but it was on sale for $2 at the teacher store and since she is learning about the calendar and the year in school, it made sense to use it as a teaching tool as well.



Electronic calendars fall into a few categories. Connected to your email account, online--using an organizational site, and electronic--like the one that comes with your cell phone.

If you have email, chances are you have a calendar component. This can automatically send you email reminders and keep track of reoccuring appointments. They also have the capability to be shared with others. This is a free option that is basic and a great way to schedule. If it is hosted online (like using Yahoo or Gmail) then you can sign in from anywhere to get access. You most likely synch with your smartphone. The more passive you can be with getting info sent to you the better. I am a fan of the "set-it-and-forget-it" method for reoccuring appointments and reminders.

Online calendar sites, like Cozi.com, Cozi is a FREE online family calendar, shopping list, family journal & photo collage screensaver. Simplify family life with Cozi. have a more user-friendly interface. These can also be accessed from anywhere you can find an internet connection. They also offer apps for your smartphone to help keep you organized. I use Cozi so that my stepdaughter can enter her crazy schedule from anywhere and her mom can access if she needs to. I also like the other components that they offer. I admit, I don't use this to it's fullest potential, but I like what I see for the new features.

Electronic calendars that come with your cell phone without internet access are only as good as the information put in and accessed. I am referring to stand alone calendars that are not synched to any accounts. In most cases, it is up to you to be as active as possible to get the most out of it. If that is all you have, use it. A lot. Get into a good habit.

So get a good calendar as a first step. Both More Time Moms and Cozi have great organizational tips on their site as well. AND both have apps to synch with your smartphone. For me, both methods work for me. If you are getting started, just TRY something. As soon as you get a school notice or invitation for birthday party or a parking ticket, make a note. Your calendar will become your best friend in saving money in the weeks to come.

Products mentioned:
More Time Moms Family Organizer
Cozi.com online calendar
Lakeshore Learning Center dry erase weekly calendar

Bonus internet points to you if you recognize the Flylady stickers on the calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive criticism welcomed. Advice and sharing of ideas welcomed. Assinine comments are not.